A Rare Day
I attended A Rare Day. A Women’s Summit & Networking Event for female entrepreneurs, creators & disruptors.
I found this event through Instagram when the YouTubers I follow announced it in their post and their Instagram stories. I have learned so much in just one day and I am sharing it with you. The topics are: Authenticity, 5 Minutes to Save 5 Hours, Powerhouse Panel: Women Bosses in Digital Media, Photo and Video Gear: A Beginner's Guide to Creating YouTube Videos, Understanding Legal Contracts, and 10 Tips to Make Your YouTube Channel a Destination.
Jackie Aina - Authenticity
Jackie Aina is a YouTube star and beauty activist. She talked about authenticity and intersectionality. Women in beauty are multi faceted and intersectional. We can be a voice for anybody. Women are allowed to care about more than one thing at the same time.
What's the takeaway?
- Apply an end goal.
- What does authenticity mean to you?
- Being oneself.
- Not compromising.
- Going against the grain.
*Your platform is not for everyone.*
Remember to listen to your audience. You will find your way along the journey, and always follow your instinct.
*What is your why and why is it so important?*
Do it your way and accomplish the same goal. There is no formula, because YOU are the formula. There is only one you. Have fun and be yourself. Your time is bound to happen.
Denis Asamoah - 5 Minutes to Save 5 Hours
Denis Asamoah is a productivity coach. He shared apps that can save you time and they are:
- Calendly: Helps you schedule meetings without the back-and-forth emails.
- Doodle: Radically simplifies the process of scheduling events, meetings, appointments, etc.
- Shoebox: The fast, easy way to turn receipts into an organized, categorized, and IRS-accepted online archive.
- IFTTT: Way to get your apps and devices working together.
The PowerHouse Panel - Women Bosses in Digital Media
Having a social media team will help increase following:
- Work with influencers (if you're a company brand).
- Create content in negative space.
- Native and organic to the social media platforms.
Start looking at Instagram
Be authentic - You are your own voice. Find brands that want to share your story. Post about a product and choose a product you want to work with. Use the right hashtags with those brands. Throughout your journey, you will find your style. Build an empire. Your empire.
How to anticipate trends?
Build your own trend and stay in your creative path. Let your creativity take place. Anything is hard work, and always have a fresh perspective. Know what is going on in the culture and put yourself out there.
Put in work.
What do you do? Make and meet the community. Follow up and understand that you are your own work. Do whatever you have to do to be in front of the line. There is no reason not to do it, so make everyday count. Love and support one another. Sacrifice to get to where you want to be. Your reputation is everything. Hustle, and if you don't love it. Then it is not the right work for you.
~ Intermission and Lunch ~
I was able to see Weylie again. Just goes to show how these women support one another in what they do.
Complimentary ice cream thank to Afters Ice Cream! Hot Cocoa flavor with Oreo toppings.
Maya Washington AKA Shameless Maya was there as well. I was too shy to say hi, but she is repping herself as that's how she started. Shamelessly promoting herself for 365 days.
Stephanie Villa - Photo and Video Gear: A Beginner's Guide to Creating YouTube Videos
Stepanie Villa is a YouTube and style star. She shared the must have gears for YouTube videos and they are:
- Canon G7x
- Canon 6D Mark II
- Canon EF 24-105mm
- Canon 40mm
- Shure VP83F Lenshopper
- Vanguard Alta Pro 263 AB 100 Aluminum Tripod
- Manfroto Be Free Compact Aluminum Tripod
- Diva Ring Light Super Nova 18"
- Studio Pro 3200 Wall Softbox
Ashley Villa - Understanding Legal Contracts
Ashley Villa is a talent manager and attorney. She gave tips on how to understand legal contracts with tips on how to read brand/influencer and work-for-hire contracts.
Everything is negotiable.
In a contract you can negotiate to the brand/influencer. Offer + Acceptance = Agreement. Always be clear about the deal of who, what, when, where, and how. Write all the terms to confirm.
Read the contracts! Understand the contracts face value. The parties involved in the contract. Know the "term", how long is the contract for? What is the effective date? How much am I getting paid? What are the deliverables? / What are you doing? Know the usage of the content.
Jenn Im - 10 Tips to Make Your YouTube Channel a Destination
Jenn Im is a YouTube star and style icon. She shared 10 Tips to Make Your YouTube Channel a Destination.
- Screw the theme. YOU are the theme!
- You are multi-dimensional.
- Better done than not done at all.
- Your body is your vessel.
- Listen and interact with your community.
- Dedicate a time to comment back to your subscribers.
- Collaborate with other YouTubers and creatives.
- Be vulnerable and honest.
- Only if you are 100% to share your vulnerability and honesty.
- Make the viewer's life easy.
- ex: Links in the description box below.
- Figure out your brand.
- Make sure you are growing with your channel.
- Follow the rules.
- Avoid copyright strikes.
- Find music you can use.
- Make relationships with different artists.
- Dealing with hate.
- You can delete the comments if you want to. Your channel is your home.
- Do this for yourself.
- Do this for yourself and nobody else.